Re: [LAU] [LAD] Descent synth as dssi

From: Julius Smith <julius.smith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 21:43:40 EET

2010/3/9 Burkhard Wölfel <versuchsanstalt@email-addr-hidden>:

> How would you share a complicated production setup, aka session, with
> other users? Script, or text explanation? Screenshot? Ardour audio
> project only? ... there are users out there waiting to hop on the linux audio boat
> as soon as there is an obvious way to save and restore complex setups
> without scripting

Since I always use shell scripts to get as close as I can to a
particular set-up state, I would love to see more support for that, to
the point that it doesn't have to look like scripting to an end user.
For example, each app could respond to a message to return its state
in shell-script form, like a ~/.jackdrc file, and the session saver
would simply append these to a startup script that it can run behind
the scenes to restore the session. Of course, active connections
among apps need to be uniquely identified in some way (OSC?), and apps
should be able to accept connection specifications that are not
immediately "ready", etc., so that the segments can be run in any
order.

Julius

--
"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind