Re: [LAU] [ken@email-addr-hidden: Re: [LAD] Descent synth as dssi]

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 17:18:18 EET

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> One of the things I need to get to real soon now is putting songs from such
> collabs into traverso project form. I have been meaning for a long time now
> to try an experiment of distributing songs as multitrack projects ready to
> load and go.
>
> I am choosing traverso for the first pass as it runs on linux, mac, and
> windows. One problem even with this is that the effects only exist for linux
> at the moment. And now, after the ramble, I get to the point.

I would humbly suggest that this is the wrong goal. Collaboration
should be based on sharing data, not requiring the use of the same
program.
I'd mention a program called AATranslator
(http://www.aatranslator.com.au/) in this context. Its a windows
program, though it will run in Wine on Linux and OS X. It will allow
your collaborators to use whatever software they want on their
platform of choice, and simply convert from one session file format to
another. I have no stake in AAtranslator, but I am happy that an
upcoming release will include support for Ardour.

and yeah, it would be nice if this was open source etc, but seriously
- this is an incredibly niche market and the work involved to reverse
engineer these formats is substantial and ugly.

--p