Re: [LAU] Outboard gear users: What MIDI interface are you using?

From: robert lazarski <robertlazarski@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 12 2010 - 22:59:22 EET

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Rob Wentz <wentzr@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> With soooooo much stinkin attention and emphasis put towards softsynths
> these days, I'm curious... what are all you *other* linux audio musicians
> who actually still use outboard gear (more than relying on softsynths)
> using as a MIDI interface for your linux sequencers??
>
> bonus points for anything that gives me more than 4 ports of i/o.

I'm pretty much 100% OTB now. While I've used Rosegarden and seq24 as
a sequencer previously, I now use a GenoQs Octopus and the Korg Oasys
as hardware sequencers. For RG and the occasional linux midi note
conversion stuff I do in between hardware analog and virtual analog
synths and a analog drum machine, I use a 4x4 midisport and a 2x2
midisport.

I use "midi solutions" 4x and 2x mergers when using the Octopus or my
Oasys as a sequencer to control my synths, so I have enough control.
They also have 8x mergers. I'm looking at getting "midi solutions" 4x
thru box for having the Oasys single "midi out" go into 4 different
synths, since its my only 88 key keyboard that I use currently. All
these mergers and thru boxes are so I don't have to switch cables -
just turn the computer off, turn the gear on and it just works :-) .

Beyond all that, its about to be a speck xtramix hardware mixer, my
korg d888 digital recorder, hardware compressors and effects.

Hope that help,
Robert