Re: [LAU] Outboard gear users: What MIDI interface are you using?

From: Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 13 2010 - 10:54:55 EET

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 21:14 -1000, david wrote:
> So, you're using one MIDI device per port? Madness...
>
> Hmmm, how do you use more than one MIDI device per port?

Either the MIDI Through ports on devices, or my homebrew four-port MIDI
Through box. Then each synth goes on its own channel (or for
multi-timbral stuff, each group). Channel-hungry things like the
ESI4000 go on their own port, simply because they *can* have 16 channels
all to themselves. The two CZ-family (CZ1000 and CZ230S) synths share a
channel with the Juno and the Kawai K1m because they're all pretty fast
software-wise but don't require many channels each - the Juno is
monotimbral and the other three are four-part multi.

> I plan to add a MIDI keyboard controller, would like to keep my existing
> keyboard around for its sound capabilities.

Get another MIDI interface, and set up your udev rules and things so
that every USB device always gets given the same port ID. It will save
frustration and bad words later - usually a few months later when you've
forgotten *exactly* how it was set up.

Gordon MM0YEQ