Re: [LAU] A sound decision

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 09:32:15 EET

On 17 March 2010 10:31, Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Excerpts from Stephen Stubbs's message of 2010-03-17 02:23:56 +0100:

Oo 10 years..yeah that could work. I'm not a frequent update either,
but anyway a little guesstheomatical fun:

Let's just assume that over the last 30 days, there were 200MB of
updates per client. Not a very big number, and not very small either,
and so should allow for a healthy average. That works up to 2,400MB
per annum, but assume that it is likely that a significant number of
clients would not have updated for a total of 60 days due to
schoolwork, officework, socialwork etc., so the end-of-year assumption
implies an even 2,000MB. A 10-year total would then be 20,000MB, or,
20GB.

Let's also assume that over the last 10 years global internet
bandwidth, including developing/third-world nations and their
respective socio-economical pricing plans, rose from a mere 56Kbps to
1024Kbps on the lowest end and 1024Kbps to 12228Kbps on the highest.
Here, we can say that in the following decade we can see 1024-12228
and 12228-102400, or developingNations(1Mbps,12Mbps) and
developedNations(12Mbps,100Mbps). Flawed, but probable in a layman's
opinion if we take into consideration regions continue to develop at
the same rate they have been for the past decade.

So downloading 20GB of updates after 10 years would mean it would take
1715 seconds (20971520/12228) or approx. 30 minutes on one end and 5
minutes on the other, rounded off to the nearest 5th. We must also
take into consideration that there may have ben worthy news updates to
follow to avoid system breakage, so this assumption can be 6 major
articles a year, meaning one would have to read through 60 articles
after 10 years.

## Conclusion ##

Assuming the average schooling and working Archer reads 10 articles a
day, it would take approx. 7 days or a week (inclusive of the
less-than-half-hour pacman -Syyu) to overcome this updating feat.

The size of updates may have been bigger at 200GB, and the amount of
articles may have been 100 (although http://www.archlinux.org/news/
will provide a more informed average for 8 years).

That, is the conlcusion of a best-case scenario. I didn't have
anything better to do, I have the flu since this morning.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD