Re: [LAU] Finding the delay/latency of a Zoom

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 21:25:24 EET

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:51:32AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> 2010/3/18 J?rn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>:
> > On 03/17/2010 06:43 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:
> >
> >> My back-of-the-envelope calculation, done by manually moving a
> >> percussion track in Ardour until it sync'ed up with the drumkit, and
> >> then noting the difference in the region start times, is that the
> >> latency through the Zoom is either exactly two seconds, or Ardour's
> >> region start time resolution doesn't go to fractions of seconds.
> >
> > i'm pretty sure that ardour's region start time is sample-accurate.
>
> indeed, it is. it can be displayed in a variety of formats: timecode,
> min:sec, BBT, sampletime. right click on any time display in ardour to
> change the display mode.

Thanks!

That seems it'll be the easiest solution so far. Create a 1-sample impulse and stick it on an Ardour track. Wire the L output channel of the Zoom to the R input channel. Arm a track to record from the Zoom, then play the impulse. Then I just have to measure the distance between them in Ardour using the sample display mode.

-ken