Re: [LAU] Finding the delay/latency of a Zoom

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 18 2010 - 23:17:05 EET

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 03:59:04PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > That seems it'll be the easiest solution so far. Create a 1-sample impulse and stick it on an Ardour track. Wire the L output channel of the Zoom to the R input channel. Arm a track to record from the Zoom, then play the impulse. Then I just have to measure the distance between them in Ardour using the sample display mode.
>
> easier: create a port insert for a track. bring up the port insert's
> GUI. connect to the Zoom. click "measure latency". done. same code as
> jdelay, packaged.

Thanks. I did it the long way, and the magic answer is...

8267 samples of latency at 44.1Khz on the Zoom.

Ardour's timecode display shows 8267 samples as 5 seconds. But at 44100 samples per second, shouldn't 5 seconds be 220500 samples? Likewise, wouldn't 8267 samples be more like 0.188 seconds of delay?

-ken