Re: [LAU] OT: Which crappy mic should I use?

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 02:47:31 EET

Excerpts from Ken Restivo's message of 2010-03-19 01:24:03 +0100:
> So I am recording the band's vocals tomorrow for this record, and, due to acute poverty and our practice-room-mates absconding with all the mics, the only mics we have available to us now are:
>
> 1) Shure PG-58 (with on-off switch! woo-hoo!)
> and
> 2) Zoom H2
>
> Which of these not-very-good choices would you recoomend would be slightly less crappy for recording vocals?

I have no experience with either, but ..

> The Zoom has condenser mics, which to my ears are quite good, but are designed for ambient recordings and might not handle sound pressure levels of close-range vocal use.

I doubt that vocal sound pressure really is an issue, just make sure you
don't get 'wind' noises.

> Also, it has that 188ms delay in it too, and no way to turn off hardware monitoring.

I think I read that it can be used as usb interface directly, maybe it
behaves better then?

> How bad is the PG-58 though?
>
> -ken

I'd assume that the PG-58 isn't so different from other Shure vocal
mics, pure guess. Maybe it's better than the Zoom for really close range.