Re: [LAU] HDSP 9652+Win 7 == update flash - bye bye Linux audio & Alsa?

From: Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 20 2010 - 03:22:19 EET

Quoting Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> I got a Lenovo M58 today with an Intel MoBo and the trick there was to
>> disable AHCI in the SATA settings. After that I had no problem booting and
>> installing with my XP-SP3 CD.
> My understanding about going that way was that WRT Windows, once
> non-AHCI, always non-AHCI. Linux was easy. I built support for
> everything into the kernel and can change BIOS anytime. I'll be
> interested in your experiences as you go forward.

Nah, once you've got XP installed it's usually a matter of installing
the proper SATA/AHCI driver (I think in this case it's called Intel
Matrix Storage Driver), rebooting and resetting BIOS to
Native/AHCI/Whatever.

I've done this a bunch of times. With one chipset it wouldn't play
ball, but then I got a "prepare" driver for another chipset that
allowed me to boot and, when XP asked for the driver, install the
proper one.
Once I get to work on Monday (GMT+1) I'll see if I can dig up which
drivers I used. I think I have it documented.

That said, I guess having working RME-ALSA drivers would be the best solution.

- Peder