Re: [LAU] "studder" (gate) ladspa effect?

From: Leigh Dyer <lsd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 01:35:42 EET

Josh Lawrence wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a ladspa effect that will allow for rhythmic gating of
> incoming audio (what I call "studder" effect). I've been looking
> through the list of available plugins on my system, randomly trying
> out different things, which is not giving me any good results. if
> anyone has any recommendations, I would very much appreciate it.

I know I mentioned on IRC yesterday that you could probably do this with
Pd easily enough, but I've just done it in SuperCollider for a laugh:

{SoundIn.ar(0, LFPulse.kr(10, 0, 0.7, 0.5, 0))}.play

This is just taking the incoming audio and modulating its amplitude with
a pulse wave; the "10" there is the frequency in Hz, and the "0.7" is
the pulse width.

A better approach might be to set up a very simple synth in AMS with
just an audio input, an envelope, and an output. Then, you can feed it
both audio, and a MIDI signal from an arpeggiator to get the effect
you're after.

Thanks
Leigh