Re: [LAU] "studder" (gate) ladspa effect?

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 03:58:19 EET

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Yo, back on Monday 22 March 2010 Josh Lawrence was all like:
>
>> I'm looking for a ladspa effect that will allow for rhythmic gating of
>> incoming audio (what I call "studder" effect).  I've been looking
>> through the list of available plugins on my system, randomly trying
>> out different things, which is not giving me any good results.  if
>> anyone has any recommendations, I would very much appreciate it.
>>

> Are you just talking about a tremolo? ("TAP Tremolo" might work) or are you actually talking about something that doesn't kick in till the audio level passes a set threshold?

I think both can be achieved by amplitude modulation, but the
difference between tremolo and stutter is quite audibly noticeable. To
my understanding, tremolo is amplitude modulated by a sinusoidal,
whereas stutter is square wave modulated amplitude. At least, that's
one way to implement it. This should be easy enough to set up in any
modular environment, but I'm not sure if that's what the OP wants.

-michael