Re: [LAU] HDSP 9652+Win 7 == update flash - bye bye Linux audio & Alsa?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 17:44:27 EET

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Quoting Peder Hedlund <peder@email-addr-hidden>:
>
>> Quoting Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>:

>>> My understanding about going that way was that WRT Windows, once
>>> non-AHCI, always non-AHCI. Linux was easy. I built support for
>>> everything into the kernel and can change BIOS anytime. I'll be
>>> interested in your experiences as you go forward.
>>
>> Nah, once you've got XP installed it's usually a matter of installing
>> the proper SATA/AHCI driver (I think in this case it's called Intel
>> Matrix Storage Driver), rebooting and resetting BIOS to
>> Native/AHCI/Whatever.
>
> Heh, on the M58 I never got the switch-to-SATA/NATIVE/AHCI-afterwards to
> work.
> The storage driver didn't have a prepare driver, like the R400 had, and no
> matter how I tried I couldn't get it to take any of the tricks on the web:
> http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831
>
> - Peder

That didn't work for me because my H55 chipset is so new that no
matter what settings I used in BIOS XP couldn't find it to do an
install. Apparently either the Intel BIOS or the chipset simply wasn't
compatible enough to make this strategy work.

People in the Intel forums were having the same problems. They started
using a program called nLite that allows you to modify the XP install
disc itself:

http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

It's a nice little program. Free and fairly easy to use. Basically it
tears apart the install disc's file system and then adds new drivers.
It does require that you can find the right drivers and then it writes
the new CD for you. Apparently I never found the right drivers as
nothing I ever wrote booted the Windows install at all.

Gentoo installs without issue so it's not like the hardwre doesn't
work, and win 7 installs fine also.

- Mark