Re: [LAU] SC4_mono compressor question

From: Oleg Ivanenko <oivanenko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 23 2010 - 23:40:20 EET

Hi, Arnold!

Many thanks you for answer.

> Compression as in compressors isn't like compression as in tubes or magnetic
> tapes.

Good point. Agreed.

> The time constants on how fast to react to the level
> crossing the threshold is determined by the attack and release (and sometimes
> even a hold) but its always slower then a saturation of tube or tape (on
> purpose).

I believe I understand this fundamentals.

> So either you want compression or you want saturation/distortion. But these
> are different effects and therefore implemented in different plugins.
>
> Note 1: I had good success in fattening a bass by feeding it through one of
> the CAPS tube amps.

Thanks, I must probe this plugin.

> Note 2: If your ears and your eyes tell you different things, trust your ears.
> You are making music, not a painting.

Golden words, but I just try to understand why bottom part seems like
uncompressed at all, while top part seems like "truly compressed" and
to avoid unwanted and annoying clippings during several tracks mixing.
May be it is my fault :(

--
Truly yours, Oleg Ivanenko aka Ash
[if it wasn't so sad, it would be funny]