Re: [LAU] Some phantoms are stronger than other phantoms.

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 15:30:07 EEST

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Harry Van Haaren wrote:

> Ill quote an article by Rane <http://www.rane.com/note148.html> that I've
> read recently on Mic Preams etc:
>
> There is a huge myth circulating that microphones sound better running from
> 48 volts, as opposed to, say, 12 volts, or that you can increase the dynamic
> range of a microphone by using higher phantom power. *For the overwhelming
> majority of microphones both of these beliefs are false. *Most condenser
> microphones require phantom power in the range of 12-48 VDC, with many
> extending the range to 9-52 VDC, leaving only a very few that actually
> require just 48 VDC. The reason is that internally most designs use some
> form of current source to drive a low voltage zener (usually 5 volts;
> sometimes higher) which determines the polarization voltage and powers the
> electronics. The significance is that neither runs off the raw phantom
> power, they both are powered from a fixed and regulated low voltage source
> inside the mic. Increasing the phantom power voltage is never seen by the
> microphone element or electronics, it only increases the voltage across the
> current source. *But there are exceptions, so check the manufacturer, and
> don't make assumptions based on hearsay.*
>
> I guess the special mic your using might *really* need the 48V, but who
> knows... maybe email them?

Don't know about the voltage, but the Earthworks mics are notorious for
needing more current than most. Most condensers only need 1-2mA, but
the Earthworks really do need 10mA. I suppose it's probably safest just
to get Behringer's own cheap mic for this.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky