[LAU] How to handle large amount of pdf files (music sheets) for collaborative usage

From: Nils Hammerfest <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 30 2010 - 10:48:19 EEST

Hi List,

This is a question what is the best way to make a lage amount of pdf files (hundreds of GB, more to come) and make them available for a Local Area Network of users to print and edit them. Make them searchable and get the file easily and send them per mail to print.
There is currently a Windows solution including completly unfree tools so that not every computer can even do the work we are supposed to do because of license restrictions (at least its all legal). The current windows-based database is slow in access and has a heavy lag to snyc files, sometimes even hours.
I don't have access to the servers so I can't check whats going on, but I want to know if there isn't a Linux way :)

Where I work we prepare lots of notation for print and finally print them. There are sadly no source files: We get generated pdf files from various software from all OS and we produce scans of existing material. There are few meta information like Composer, Title and a serial number.

Actual Questions:

1) What Database/Way and Frontend would you use to handle pdf files? (Filesizes per file >200 kb <200 MB, Multiple files per project/musical piece )
2) Do you know any free PDF editor besides "PDFEdit" (which seemed fine from screenshots and descriptions, but first tries were not successful)

Always this unfree binary crap,
Nils