Re: [LAU] Soon to be released Grand Piano sample library

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 01 2010 - 00:28:29 EEST

Excerpts from torbenh's message of 2010-03-31 18:22:55 +0200:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 09:04:10AM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> >
> > On 31 March 2010 at 17:57, Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > wavpack is BSD licensed, it's just not as well known as flac.
> > > wavpack does support 32bit float while flac doesn't afaik, and
> > > there are some more differences but it may not matter in this
> > > case. Both are lossless and free.
> >
> > Does this help?
> >
> > http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html#general__samples
>
> i know, that flac only compresses .wav
> its a .gig file.
>
> not sure if wavpack compresses arbitrary binaries.

Well, wavpack is also designed for lossless audio. If the whole .gig is
compressed as such then I'd use a generic format, maybe .xz aka. lzma2.

wavpack only has 'raw-pcm' options which obviously refer to pcm data.

I don't know how .gig works and whether the samples and the
meta-information can be split/joined easily. Probably not worth the
trouble.