Re: [LAU] audio setup for debian squeeze

From: Aurelien <tyranorl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 01 2010 - 10:11:12 EEST

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 01:55:19PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote :
> Hi folks
>
> Ive finally managed to migrate lenny to squeeze.
> I started the migration because (among other things) ardour seemed to
> be available only for squeeze and not lenny but got stuck for many
> reasons
>
> In the process I gathered that debian-multimedia is not necessary for
> squeeze -- so currently its removed from my sources.list
>
> So my questions
>
> 1. Is this (no debian-multimedia) a right choice?

I would install it for codecs, and some other packages (LiVes, and so
on).

> 2. Is there some (small set of) umbrella packages like ubuntu-studio?

Didn't find any (didn't look so much).
By the way, I can send you the out of dpkg --get-slections on my
machine. I've two machines using Debian Squeeze with an RT kernel, one
with RME (alsa driver) and the other with a Focusrite (FFADO 2.1).

> 3. Any docs recommended for the noob? I want to study jack and ardour.

Nope. But if you want to ask me, don't hesitate.