Re: [LAU] Soon to be released Grand Piano sample library

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 02 2010 - 20:19:57 EEST

On 01/04/2010, Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Excerpts from alexander's message of 2010-03-31 23:44:27 +0200:
>> On 04/01/2010 12:28 AM, Philipp wrote:
>> > Excerpts from torbenh's message of 2010-03-31 18:22:55 +0200:

>> > Well, wavpack is also designed for lossless audio. If the whole .gig is
>> > compressed as such then I'd use a generic format, maybe .xz aka. lzma2.
>> >
>> > wavpack only has 'raw-pcm' options which obviously refer to pcm data.
>> >
>> > I don't know how .gig works and whether the samples and the
>> > meta-information can be split/joined easily. Probably not worth the
>> > trouble.
>> >
>> That's more what I was thinking, bzip or lzma, How well supported are
>> these on windows or osx? I haven't used win for 6 years or so..
>
> I think this is the best bet for windows and OSX is mentioned there as
> well. I think .7z and .xz isn't the same, and .xz is certainly quite
> new. .7z isn't that common on linux.
>
> It's kind of hard to say what to use.. most compatible would be .zip I
> think, .xz might offer the best compression ratio and .bz2 is somewhere
> in between, supported by 7zip and winrar (both common on windows in my
> experience). I don't know about OSX.
>
> Since only betas of 7zip come with .xz support I'd go with .bzip2 and
> maybe compare to .zip to see whether it's worth it.

Zip is totally useless - it can't really compress if matched against
the latest archiving tools.

A cross-platform (and the best next to lzma) solution would be RAR,
but you may not like its licensing implications.

.xz and .7z may not be the same (compressed vs. archived?), but the
7zip client is able to uncompress .xz from beta version onwards. Linux
users can unpack anything, so in the end I don't see why you couldn't
just go .7z and hjsplit/lxsplit the result to 4 parts to be even more
friendly.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD