[LAU] joining alsa devices (fasttrack pro)

From: Dan S <danstowell+lxau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 04 2010 - 16:27:39 EEST

Hi -

I have an M-Audio FastTrack Pro with 2 ins and 4 outs, which shows up
as two devices (hw:1,0 and hw:1,1) splitting the outputs. In trying to
merge them back together to get 4-channel output, I used the .asoundrc
given here:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/.asoundrc#Joining_devices_to_make_multichannel

Now I'm unsure how to specify that this multi device should be used.
alsa -l shows me:

default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
null
ttable4:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    4 channel multi route
default:CARD=Pro
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
front:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
ttable4:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio
    4 channel multi route
ttable4:CARD=Pro,DEV=1
    FastTrack Pro, USB Audio #1
    4 channel multi route

While "aplay somesound.wav" or "aplay -d default somesound.wav" is
fine to play through the internal soundcard, I haven't figured out
what arguments to use to play the sound through the aggregated device
(one of the ttable4 entries in the above list).

In fact "aplay -d hw1:0 somesound.wav" also simply plays through the
internal soundcard so I must be doing something wrong. Any
suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

--