Re: [LAU] [problem] no sound from one channel, VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24

From: Roger <gurusonic@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2010 - 06:06:15 EEST

Marcos Germán Guglielmetti wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have this PCI soundcard (from "Encore" manufacturer) and I am using debian
> lenny
>

> lspci | grep audio
> 01:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
> [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> I cant get sound of the 2 channels using neither an old 2.6.18 kernel or a new
> 2.6.32 from Debian or a 2.6.29 from Musix.
>
> There is no problem with the physical output jacks: all headphones play only
> one channel.
>
> Also i tried with all the mixers: alsamixer, gamix, gnome-alsamixer, kmix,
> etc. enabling and disabling all the things and it does not work well.
I recall a similar problem on a Debian system once, with my Audiophile
2496 (same chipset). I think I resolved it simply by installing
alsa-tools-gui and using the Envy24 Control mixer. It may have been a
matter of the correct volume controls not showing in the alsa mixers.
Although the Envy24 Control mixer did not seem to function completely
logically, I did manage to get satisfactory stereo output.

Cheers
Roger