Re: [LAU] JACK (or LADSPA or LV2) spectrum analyzer? -- NEVERMIND, I found japa!

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 00:50:24 EEST

On 04/06/2010 08:20 PM, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2010 20:48:03 Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> Ken Restivo wrote:
>>> Of course there is.... JAPA does exactly what I want.
>> Thanks for asking the question and letting me discover japa, very
>> useful, I think I'm gonna be mixing with that running the next times!
>
> Please don't use it while mixing.
>
> Music is for ears, not for eyes. There is no point in a flat line in japa
> produced by your music when it sounds like sh*, has flat voice, mistuned
> instruments and sloppy rythm.
>
> Use it to analyse your final mix in the beta stage. Use it to measure (and
> correct) your listening environment. Use it to train your ears with music of
> others.
> But please don't use it for mixing music.

i don't think there's much harm in running an analyzer during mixing, at
least not when you have to deal with difficult instruments like organs
or a double bass, or weird electronica from someone you haven't worked
with before. often, LF garbage creeps in that your average home
recordist's monitor setup won't reveal. likewise for funny HF.

what i do recommend against is staring at the analyser while setting EQ
- that's too distracting.
your visual sense will always override the ears. ask any surround sound
engineer how frustrating that can be when it happens to your audience :)

sure you can stubbornly aim at a flat spectrum while mixing. some
legendary recordings have been made like that. donald fagen, the
nightfly, anyone?

sure, it means nobody in their right minds will listen to your album
outside of a p.a. soundcheck, but hey, that's one approach to
immortality... (i still use that track when no one's looking)