Re: [LAU] JACK (or LADSPA or LV2) spectrum analyzer?

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 03:03:44 EEST

On 04/07/2010 01:30 AM, Brent Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> use the analyser to find feedback and really bad room nodes, but don't
>> try to "flatten" that curve you see. that way lies stuttering,
>> drooling madness.
>
> This is probably a FAQ somewhere, but...
>
> What can I use to judge whether a monitoring system is emitting
> "correct" amounts of mids, low-mids, bass, and sub-bass?

you can stick your speaker on a pole in the garden (i.e. well away from
reflecting surfaces) and measure it with a sweep, or pink noise, if you
must. that will tell you the frequency response of your speaker.

in actual practice, that isn't worth much.
what's more interesting is
a) weird modes at your listening position, which you can and should
measure "in situ", and
b) the decay characteristics of your listening room - check out some
waterfall diagrams on the web to see what i mean. incidentally, here is
one:
http://stackingdwarves.net/public_stuff/linux_audio/tmt08/Ambisonic_Listening_Rig_with_Free_Software-Slides.pdf
- created with (gasp!) wavelab in a hurry - is there a free tool that
does them?

if a specific frequency is annoying, it can be for three reasons: it's
too loud to begin with, you ears are in a modal maximum (where a
standing wave between two walls has maximum particle velocity), or your
room has a very long reverb time in that frequency which sticks out from
the rest of the reverb.

best,

jörn