Re: [LAU] vorbis support in lame is deprecated

From: James Morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 03:50:12 EEST

On Wed, April 7, 2010 01:26, Philipp wrote:
> Excerpts from Jörn Nettingsmeier's message of 2010-04-07 02:16:54 +0200:
>> On 04/07/2010 12:19 AM, James Morris wrote:
>> >
>> > $ lame -h --preset cd --ogginput azr3.ogg azr3.mp3
>> > sorry, vorbis support in LAME is deprecated.
>> >
>> > what's with that? are they just being awkward?
>>
>> well, lame ain't an mp3 encoder, and it sure as hell ain't an ogg vorbis
>> encoder, either. no harm in focusing on not doing what you don't do
>> best.
>>
>> what's wrong with oggenc?
>
> Uhm, lame IS an mp3 encoder, that's the only thing it is,
> but it's not a vorbis decoder.
>
> Deprecated usually means it will still work, but you should start
> looking for another way to decode vorbis files.
> I don't know why they chose to remove vorbis decoding capabilities but I
> wonder why it was there in the first place.

Sorry, computers and software are tormenting me recently! I remember it
worked before, but now it just prints that message and nothing more. It
just made the task of getting audio contained within oggs burnt onto a cd
as mp3s for an mp3 cd player, that little bit easier.

I guess if they include vorbis decoding, why should they not also include
flaac decoding, etc, etc.