Re: [LAU] vorbis support in lame is deprecated

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 08 2010 - 12:27:09 EEST

On 8 April 2010 16:07, david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Philipp wrote:
>> Excerpts from david's message of 2010-04-07 21:53:15 +0200:

>>> Really? Never seen one anywhere. My little portable CD player only does
>>> MP3 and WMA.
>>>
>>> Of course, I use my laptop as my music player, no problem supporting a
>>> whole pile of media formats including OGG and FLAC.
>>
>> A friend of mine has a really tiny sandisk one which plays vorbis at
>> least. I think it's not that uncommon anymore.
>> Vorbis and flac at least are rather often supported but it's not often
>> something marketing uses prominently.
>>
>> With other formats, like wavpack, you'll have less luck.
>
> I have to agree that marketing (by non-Apple player makers) isn't very
> good. Out here, at least, the main marketing message is "more space
> cheaper than iPod". Nothing else gets mentioned.
>
> Also what never gets mentioned is "Do these non-Apple iPod competitors
> work with iTunes"? Not that I use iTunes, but apparently a lot of people do.

Sometimes I'm helping out people, and those times I get in my hand
some really old or really proprietary stuff that never will have
support other than MP3.

For myself, my cellphone is my mobile audio player. It's a Motorola
ROKR E8, and not only can I play OGG, I can play AVI with MPlayer =p

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD