Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 10 2010 - 22:14:15 EEST

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:50:55 +0200
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm thinking harder and harder about my mixes and have been reading this
> (written for renoise, but should apply to every DAW, so any ardour
> users/devs, please speak up!):
>
> http://www.renoise.com/indepth/tutorials/avoid-clipping-in-your-final-mix/
>
> I didn't get why it should be better to have the master fader fixed at
> 0db. Well a tiny bit better, but still, supposed I have 30+ tracks, each
> having (at least) a fader, does it really matter that much to have
> another fader in there? I mean the alternative would be to pull *every*
> channel fader down by say 1.5db if the track is clipping with 1.5db. In
> such case I just reach for the master fader and pull it 1.5db, problem
> solved.
>
> I raised my doubts on the renoise forum
> (http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=24975), and I still
> don't get it, really sounds like either voodoo or peanuts to me.
>
> Could all you clever and sensible people with good ears and technical
> knowledge please enlighten me :-) Would it really make a difference to
> keep the master fader fixed at 0db?
>
> Looking forward to a second opinion on this very baffling issue!

If it's fixed at 0dB it might as well not be there at all. Besides,
until the final mix is laid down and recorded it's all just numbers
(usually floating point).

If you were using *dramatic* level differences I could accept there
might be rounding errors, but a few dB here and there - nonsense!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk