Re: [LAU] Some new music made (mostly) with Linux -- comments on mix?

From: Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 10 2010 - 23:26:12 EEST

lördag 10 april 2010 18.51.38 skrev Ken Restivo:
> What's giving me headaches is bass rolloff on certain systems. On the nice
> flat Fostex studio monitors I was able to borrow-- and which don't have
> any bass emphasis--, it sounds well balanced. On crappy iPod earbuds which
> roll off the bass like crazy, it works well too. But on car stereos or
> club systems which emphasize the bass, the kick drum and bass guitar are
> way too hot-- sounds like the whole thing was recorded from inside the
> kick.
>
> Not sure what to do about this. Would appreciate any advice from the
> experience mix engineers around.

I do not have any good monitors here and my tinnitus is very annoying at the
moment, but the bass sounds slightly boosted on my system while the KD is a
little anonymous. You might wanna try to cut aprox. 3 db on both bass and KD,
hipass from 80 Hz on bass and around 50 on KD. Also, you might want to boost
the attack with aprox 3 db somewhere around 3000-4000 Hz. I think this might
serve as a starting point to make your decitions further.

Jostein