Re: [LAU] Some new music made (mostly) with Linux -- comments on mix?

From: Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 11 2010 - 00:51:00 EEST

> I agree with the suggestion to make sure you rid yourself of anything
> below 50hz. I'm not sure, but this could be what's causing the trouble
> on some systems.

Heh, well, the problem with car bass and clubs is usually they're very
very underdamped and also very peaky. They want to seem powerful.
It's way easier to get Big Volume at 100Hz than 50, so guess what
cheapy systems do... When you hear a Honda with the hood rattling from
bass, I'd bet a hamburger it's around 100-125Hz.

That said, even with the peaky response and the lack of damping, the
original recording isn't compressing/leveling the bass much/at all.
The notes and hits are varying in power by maybe a factor of three or
four. Compression is usually the way to even that out and make sure
you don't have a mix of 'OK' and 'way too hot'. It's hard to do that
in a recording without having the instruments in seperate tracks, so I
didn't really try in the version I sent to the list. It's all the
multiband smoothing it out, and that works better above bass.

Monty