Re: [LAU] diagrams of audio setup

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 11 2010 - 08:21:33 EEST

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to document my non-trivial live-setup, and would like to traw
> some flow charts of audio and midi routing. I tried dia, but it seems to
> insist that one "box" can only have one "input" and one "output" (I'm
> using the symbols from "flowchart".
>
> Is there a way to do this in dia, or is there something better/different
> that I should look at?

Hi Atte,

I also could never find a way to add new connection points in Dia. One way
to get around this is to make composite objects consisting of a box for the
actual object, and a small directional triangle for each input or output.
The triangles then provide a connection point at the apex. You can build all
of your studio objects in a master diagram, and then just copy and paste for
each new studio diagram you wish to make. It takes a while getting it setup,
but if you really want to work in Dia then it can be done this way. You can
see what I mean here: http://i.imgur.com/N3meQ.png.

As David said, openoffice.org draw can also be used to make fairly
sophisticated diagrams. It also lets you add additional connectors by using
the gluepoints tool, so it may be faster.

-michael