Re: [LAU] OT: Ultrasone 750 headphones?

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 02:40:09 EEST

On 12 April 2010 at 16:25, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Is anyone using the Ultrasone Pro 750 headphones for mixing or
> mastering?

Headphones, yes. Really, really good headphones, yes. Ultrasone
headphones, no. But, ...

> Supposedly, they have made use of a simple psychoacoustic trick
> (off-center drivers) to make the listening experience more like
> sitting in front of near-field monitors. Some folks I know
> have them and have told me that they are more than good enough
> for mixing and mastering-- even better in fact than monitors
> if your room isn't perfectly dead, since you won't have room
> modes on headphones. However, I want to ask on this list, since
> there are so many here who are not only knowledgeable, but are
> engineers and open-source enthusiasts, and thus tend to be very
> good at debunking hype.

I've tried mixing on headphones, especially while the family
is asleep. I've found that to be useful to get my mix pretty
close to good for imaging, effects, and blend. The caution is
that "pretty close" means that a lot can change regarding how
the low frequency content fits into the mix. You'll notice that
I left out compressors in my list of things that work well in
headphones. For me, that's because my compression primarily goes
on my drums, which have a lot of low end content. If you're
mixing violin, vocals, and piccolos, then you might find a
headphone mix satisfactory. I've tried for years (like 15 years)
to approximate getting my low end mixes right. The only time
I've had success is when my listening environment was set up for
something reasonably accurate at the low end. Headphones never
came close.

My bottom line is: watch out for being fooled by headphones if
there are low frequencies in your mix. Other than that, they're
OK.

--
Kevin