Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2010 - 07:23:20 EEST

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Ken Restivo wrote:

> After having been properly smacked upside the head enough times,
> nowadays I get very impatient and annoyed with any kind of "secret
> sauce" nonsense, black boxes, and other types of voodoo that Richard
> Feynman called "Cargo Cult Science".
>
> It's all ones and zeroes.

   ...and zeroes take up just as much space on the disk as the ones do.

   Last weekend, I was running FOH for a couple of concerts, and the artist
had hired a professional recording engineer to lay down a multitrack of
the show for possible commercial release. THey had a few 'special
surprise guests' showing up, so I kept bringging out 'just one more'
microphone until the channel count was up to 22, I think. After sound
check, the recording engineer expressed some trepidation that his
external hard drive could handle all that bandwidth. I asked him if he
had pushed record and tried it during soundcheck, and he said "Of course,
but you know when they get excited and start playing loud during the show,
it fills up those bits pretty quick, and maybe then the firewire800 won't
be fast enough."

--
Rick Green
                                   -Benjamin Franklin