Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2010 - 00:58:10 EEST

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> what's ironic though is that its now reasonably well documented that
>> if the disk drive is in the line of fire when they start to play loud,
>> it really will be unable to keep up. this has nothing to do with bit
>> rates, but is (probably) caused by the the vibrations causing read
>> failures which necessitate a lot of retrys, thus slowing down the
>> effective streaming bandwidth of the disk. if the disk is kept out the
>> way of direct incoming sound, the issue goes away.
>>
>> yes, really!
>
> Really?  I've often wondered about that, but despite doing hard disk
> recording for the past ten years now (And I've run some very loud
> shows where the whole FOH was shaking) I've never had a hard disk flag
> trouble with vibration.

the best documented case i'm personally familiar with was an FOH
engineer using ardour. if he kept the (external) drive on the same
table as the mixing console, ardour would fail to "keep up" with disk
i/o. if he put a drum shield box in front of the table, no problems.
if he put the disk into the cabinet below the console, no problems. if
the band played quietly, no problems.

and then there is the sun testing work that arnold referred to.