Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2010 - 02:58:27 EEST

On 15 April 2010 07:33, Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> addition of frequencies to > 20kHz to those below that range and

s/to//

:: addition of frequencies 20kHz to those below that range and

Now, with regards to the violin scenario, we all know that that is
close to unattainable at this point of time due to technical
limitations - mainly hardware (I assume we are referring to digital
reproduction). You have to admit, even if not from experience, but
from a theoretical standpoint, that there are or should be noticeable
differences between a live and recorded analogue signal (if it's a
music band/track; anything else is voodoo).

The live one sounds like crap.

How much you can capture to reproduce has and will always depend on
the tool(s) used for the capturing. And as I see it, Physical
Modelling is one workaround in the digital domain, such that in the
future (if it will still be called "Physical Modelling"), it
apparently "should" surpass transducers with the help of computing
prowess.

I don't find that hard to believe, because people are already
"printing" physical 3-dimensional objects from virtual images. Not a
good analogy, but you get it.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD