Re: [LAU] digital voodoo: master fader should be set at 0db

From: Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 15 2010 - 21:06:47 EEST

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Gwenhwyfaer <gwenhwyfaer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 14/04/2010, Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> I am not into that field of science but as far as I know there is research
>> in that there are effects when >22kHz frequencies are in a normal sound
>
> Then tell us where the research is. It shouldn't be hard to find.
>
> Especially when it's so easy to posit an experiment to do such testing
> with DACs that can reproduce signals up to 192kHz.

This is a very good idea save one possible problem. The use of 192kHz
DACs is not generally in order to get reproduction up to 96kHz
signals. It was to ease the analog output stage topology design so
you don't need to use a brick-wall rolloff that's full of ripples. At
least, this was the original motivation. It's entirely possible that
these days there are 192kHz DACs with output filters that have very
nice response well over 22kHz. But I'd test that on a trusted
spectrum analyzer first.

(For example, the old emagic boxes with 96kHz playback could indeed
reproduce up to 48kHz output with good flatness. So I'm sure the
beasts exist, I just wouldn't assume that was the case without
measuring it)

Monty