[LAU] Developing perfect pitch

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 15:33:13 EEST

Hi

I have quite good relative pitch, but not perfect pitch. By accident I
stumbled upon some information that gave me the idea "why not give it a
shot, it might be possible to pick it up". Please let's not go (too
deep) into either "it can't be learned" or "it makes you unmusical".

However, I don't really know what the steps int the learning process
would be.

One course seems to start with CDEF and then add more notes when those
are stuck in your head. However with these notes played at random I'd be
able to tell any of the other if I'm told what the first note is :-( To
I guess that wouldn't work...

Another seems to play all 12 notes at random and then you should only
focus on one at the time, for instance be able to identify whenever C
comes up.

Are there anyone here that *learned* perfect pitch (don't care 'bout the
lucky bastards that was born with it). How did you learn it?

Now to the linux part: It would be dead simple to write a script that
throws notes at you, even with different constraints (which instrument,
which group of notes). Besides one would need *really* well tuned notes
of instruments like piano, guitar + more.

Would anyone here be interested in exchanging scripts, samples and
practice results for such a journey; "collecting a set of files for
learning perfect pitch with your linux box, and using them to learn
yourself perfect pitch along the way"?

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk