Re: [LAU] Developing perfect pitch

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 20 2010 - 23:12:22 EEST

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:26:32PM +0200, ailo wrote:

> A friend of mine has absolute pitch and he came to jam with our band
> once. We had tuned down our guitars and basses to D. He played bass and
> tried to learn a couple of riffs, which was impossible. He learned by
> listening, but when he tried to play, the fretboard didn't make any
> sence to him. All the notes were in the wrong place. We gave up after a
> little while.

Sounds familiar... Absolute pitch can work against you.

As a musicion you deal with notes in three domains:

A. As written on the score
B. As they have to be played (fingering)
C. As they sound (pitch)

People without absolute pitch will mentally link A and B,
and don't bother about the pitch. Which makes it easy for
them to read scores for transposing instruments, as the
whole point of such notation is to keep the relation A-B
fixed.

When you have absolute pitch, you link all three domains
and reading a score for a transposing instrument becomes
harder. I've always found it difficult, even with lots
of training.

Ciao,

--
FA