Re: [LAU] Rolling off high frequencies when mastering?

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2010 - 21:42:00 EEST

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 19:56:53 Roberto wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 05:24:37PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Or maybe its because many low-end sound-devices nowadays work with 48kHz
> > fixed and re-sample everything else in hardware or in software. And then
> > it depends on the sampling-algorithm, where I would not be surprised if
> > these are not up- to-par with Fons'.
> Interesting. I should test that.
> Do you think that it can also happen when downsampling (for example
> playing 96Khz wav files)?

It all stands and falls with the algorithm used for the resampling which is in
fact interpolation. That not hard to get right, at least for audio we are
talking here. But one can also ruin it quite badly when making it to easy or
when giving not enough thought into it.
So, yes, it can happen. And with ac97 or intel "high" definition I think
anything is possible as long as the vendors see a monetary benefit... that is
cheaper processing/algorithms for more profit.

Arnold