Re: [LAU] CDRDAO speed, CRC errors, blah

From: Roberto <roberto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 24 2010 - 15:56:37 EEST

Oops, sorry, it was meant to be sent to the list :P

----- Forwarded message from Roberto <roberto@email-addr-hidden> -----

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:55:18 +0200
From: Roberto <roberto@email-addr-hidden>
To: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Subject: Re: [LAU] CDRDAO speed, CRC errors, blah

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 02:07:48AM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> The limiting factor could well be the minimum power at which
> the write laser can operate - lower write speed requires less
> power.

Hey, I found it! Is not the drive limits as I have used my drive to
write at very low speeds in the past (not because better recordings but
just to avoid annoying drive noise). It's medium limits: writable DVD
and CD have a minimum write speed, and software will refuse to select
slower speeds. Try this (with the blank medium loaded in the drive):

for DVD:
dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd1

for CD:
wodim -prcap

Ken, it is very likely that 8x is already the slowest that you can get
with those CD, I'm afraid.

----- End forwarded message -----