Re: [LAU] midi over ethernet

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 22:23:38 EEST

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Atte André Jensen
<atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> or yours truly qmidinet:
>>  http://qmidinet.sourceforge.net
>
> Great, thanks for mentioning that.
>
> I haven't hooked two computers up yet, but how do "they find each other".
> Shouldn't I somehow set a "host at the other end", either by ip-address or
> hostname?
>
> Or is it simply clever about it?

It uses UDP Multicast so you don't need to target a specific IP
address. In this way, you could theoretically send the same MIDI to
multiple machines (and likewise, you can have one machine respond to
MIDI ports 1-4 and a second machine respond to ports 5 -8, and so on).
I use this setup between Linux and Windows, it works right out of the
box, no configuration at all!

> What's your experience with timing using this over ethernet (we might end up
> simply using a crossover cable across the stage)?

Never had an issue with timing. Ethernet is a lot faster than standard
MIDI-DIN cables, and being able to send and receive up to 20 MIDI
ports is fantastic. I've also use this with a keyboard connected to
one machine and playing back instruments on a remote machine, with
very low latency.

-- Brett