Re: [LAU] Elevation with Stereo?

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 30 2010 - 02:13:33 EEST

Excerpts from Jörn Nettingsmeier's message of 2010-04-30 00:58:27 +0200:
> On 04/29/2010 11:59 PM, Philipp wrote:
> > I wonder whether it's impossible or whether there are ways to achieve
> > some kind of elevation effect with plain old stereo.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization#Sound_localization_in_the_median_plane_.28front.2C_above.2C_back.2C_below.29
>
> has a reference to blauert's work, but it's pretty sparse otherwise.
>
> german wikipedia is more detailed:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blauertsche_B%C3%A4nder
>
> and yes, you should have a good chance of faking some of those cues.
> haven't tried it myself, though.

Thanks Jörn.
I wouldn't have expected to find anything on that in wikipedia..
I'll certainly experiment with it, maybe I can achieve what I envision.
Ambisonics would probably be far superior for that, but besides me
pretty much everyone else lacks an ambisonics system.

Thanks,
Philipp