Re: [LAU] Mackie C4 & ESI RoMI/O II

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 05 2010 - 18:06:51 EEST

Andre Majorel wrote:
> Hello. I'd like to take a stab at spying the protocol between the
> Mackie C4 and the Mackie "C4 Commander" control software.
>
> The plan is to put my Linux laptop between a Winmac running C4
> Commander and the C4, start a MIDI capture and try to upload a
> known .c4i layout to the C4.
>
> I need a small, light, 2-input, 2-output MIDI USB interface.

Any USB MIDI interface that works in Windows or OS X without separate
drivers also works in Linux.

> Does anyone have experience with the ESI RoMI/O II ?

The non-II model works fine, although several ESI devices have design or
firmware bugs that must to be worked around in the driver.

The ESI website says:
| * Windows XP and Mac OS X compatible (Hardware Revision A and B)
| * Windows Vista and Windows 7 compatible (Hardware Revision B only)

It seems ESI finally found a reason to fix some of those bugs. :-)

Regards,
Clemens