Re: [LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 06 2010 - 13:01:07 EEST

Excerpts from J bz's message of 2010-05-06 11:17:22 +0200:
> Hey again,
>
> Thanks a lot to everyone for weighing in with this, really interesting
> stuff.
>
> I guess the kind of term I'm looking for is something that would make it
> obvious to a 'lay' person, what the individual who has a more creative
> approach to the desk does. Which I think would then widen the concept that
> there is more to the use of the mixer and associated goodies than creating
> what is a simulcrum of a recording. Within the dub fraternity there is
> already appreciation of that role but I feel it's a little too genre
> specific. 'Mass controller' is a great phrase though I would have to say
> that M.C. is surely Master of Ceremonies originally?
>
> Within contemporary classical music there are some fantastic parts within
> scores for the mixer and associated fx though they are always (so far in my
> research) titled for the objects rather than an individual. Stockhausen and
> Trevor Wishart being 2 good examples.
>
> There is also an educational aspect for me to this. I, as I am sure are
> many other people, somewhat concerned about the exponential rise in places
> within higher education for sound engineers and the number of studios that
> are closing down. Will most trainee sound engineers experience of running a
> serious desk only come from coursework? I like the idea that it should be
> possible to expand musical horizons in many directions and that many people
> who do music tech should view this as creative training rather than
> technical. My experience is that many people come into these courses via
> making music rather than a background of maths and physics, so why shoehorn
> individuals into roles they aren't suited too? I'm wandering and thinking
> aloud here:)
>
> Could this just be titled as 'live producer'?
>
> Cheers again, I'm finding this all fascinating.
>
> Very best wishes,
>
> Jb

I've asked a friend of mine who's doing that kind of thing for
sound safari (http://www.myspace.com/mysticrootssoundsafari) and he
doesn't know of a specific name. He'd call it 'Toningeneur' or 'sound
engineer' or maybe something with dub, but that's genre-specific again.

HTH

--
Regards,
Philipp