Re: [LAU] LAC2010, some thoughts

From: Philipp <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 07 2010 - 01:24:19 EEST

Excerpts from Jörn Nettingsmeier's message of 2010-05-07 00:10:20 +0200:
> On 05/06/2010 10:14 PM, Chris Cannam wrote:
> > On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM, rosea.grammostola
> > <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Interesting was also the confrontation between the OSX users from HKU
> >> and the open source advocates.
> >
> > What's that about?
>
> a not-totally-serious remark about the fact that many presenters were
> using mac os x to run their presentations, particularly those with a hku
> background.
>
> during the "future of lac" panel discussion, malte steiner made a very
> firm point that he did not want to see any more macbooks because of how
> steve jobs was currently gearing up for a nasty patent war and apple
> were generally behaving like dorks.
>
> i agreed in principle (mac is kinda half-evil), but i suggested to not
> take it out on its users (who might be as pissed off about apple's
> corporate policy as many open source advocates), but rather use more
> humourous means to raise awareness.
> (at some point, "hide your macbook" cropped up as the unofficial motto
> for lac2010, and someone proposed to offer case mods for frustrated
> users, to turn that logo into a pear, or maybe a carrot...)
>
> so no danger of an all-out os war ;)

I'm quite sure I saw a black pear book at one of the presentations :)
(don't remember which one tough...)

I'm not sure about the quality of the hardware, maybe it's decent, if
pricey, but apples policies sure aren't as good as they could be.

--
Regards,
Philipp