[LAU] Are my sound cards really dead?

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 08 2010 - 05:05:55 EEST

I've got 2 dead sound devices and am wondering if there is any way to
determine if the death is complete or a software issue?

1. My Audiophile 2496 has been working for years in my computer. A few
months ago it just stopped. At the time I figured it was a software
upgrade issue with pulseaudio, etc. so I pulled the card and ran with
the on-board sound on my Asus motherboard. Didn't sound wonderful, but
not to bad ... and I really did intend to upgrade the software "real
soon" so I just lived with it. Until today...

2. the on board sound on the Asus MB decided that "white noise" was
much more appreciated by me than the Ornette Coleman which I was
playing. Okay, it might be right ... but several reboots later it was
still insisting on static.

So, I reinstalled the 2496 but it refuses to output anything. Even
tried with the envy24control program and was unable to get any bars to
show any activity.

Ended up by installing a cheap soundblaster card from the bottom of my
junk box. It's playing right now, and it's not great, but not really
awful.

So, any way to see if either the on board or the 2496 has any life left in them?

Failing that, what's the current recommended consumer grade card? I'll
probably never use the inputs on the card for recording.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden