Re: [LAU] Please help with audio interfaces that keep changing after reboot

From: Jeremy <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 08 2010 - 11:13:53 EEST

Philipp wrote:
> Excerpts from Geoff King's message of 2010-05-08 01:17:39 +0200:
>> Hello,
>> I have problem that I've been trying to figure out with no luck. The
>> audio interface keeps changing for example:
>>
>> Today: Maudio 24/96 is hw:1 and Midisport 4x4 Anniv is hw:0.
>> Yesterday before reboot: Maudio 24/96 is hw:0 and Midisport 4x4 Anniv is hw:1
>> etc, back and forth, each reboot...
>> I usually use qjackctl and have to keep changing the presets with
>> settings which is annoying.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me some clues
>> or links on how to fix this?
>>
>> I'm Using Fedora 12 w CCRMA.
>>
>> thanks, Geoff
>
> The easiest solution might be, using my setup as example:
>
> aplay -l
> card 0: UA25 [UA-25], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> So I use hw:UA25 in jack instead of hw:0
> Jack always uses this device if it can find it, it always just works.
> If you have multiple other devices you need hardwired you might need
> some other trickery, but I guess in your case it's a simple matter of
> figuring out the right name for the maudio interface.

And maybe it's helpful to mention that you have to enter the cardname
manually in QJackCtl the very first time you configure it this way, you
can't select it. Out of my head the cardname for a M-Audio 24/96 is
'M2496' so in QJackCtl you can try 'hw:M2496' in the Interfaces field
(without the quotes of course).

Best,

Jeremy