Re: [LAU] Looking For Simple mp3 Audio Editor?

From: Philipp Ãœberbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 09 2010 - 22:32:42 EEST

Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2010-05-09 20:40:35 +0200:
> On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 05:43:12AM -0700, Hart Larry wrote:
> > Hi Gordon: The mp3s are around 116mb--and-on a drive which has room.
> > What are the chances Sky-News has a timer on their stream?
> > Earlier this year I had ripped an audio stream to .wav, but since it was
> > 5.4gb, lame did not even notice it.
> > Thanks for a first reply on these subjects
> > Hart
>
> Hart,
>
> I'm reading too. Now I understand a little better.
>
> You are recording your audio streams as mp3, then
> you want to edit them to either concatenate the
> segments you want, or to skip the unwanted material.
>
> As author of a text-based DAW software, Nama[1], I'm
> thinking if I might be able to help.
>
> Nama can use any of the LADSPA effects, or even route
> sound through external hardware or software, so it
> should be possible to equalize the signal to your liking.
>
> Nama currently assumes that the input will be WAV files.
> Since Nama uses Ecasound for audio processing
> and Ecasound handles mp3, there is no reason not to allow mp3
> for input.
>
> Right now, it's possible to place marks, and to create
> regions based on the marks.
>
> Currently the only way to concatenate would be to
> output each region as a WAV file, and join them using
> sox. Perhaps it might be possible to create a way to
> automatically concatenate a series of regions.
>
> Those are my thoughts. Please have a look at Nama's
> feature set and command language, and let me know if
> it's at all along the lines of what you want.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joel
>
> 1. http://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html

The problem is a bit that you need to re-encode the mp3 if you go
through wav or whatever, and lose some quality each time you do that.
There are tools to cut mp3s without re-encoding, but I don't know a name
off the top of my head.

Hart, maybe it would be wiser to rip the stream to w64 (should be fine
with regards to filesize limits), edit it and encode it afterwards. This
way you still have one additional encoding step but it stays at that.
I haven't checked whether lame can handle w64 as input.

--
Regards,
Philipp