Re: [LAU] Looking for distro recommendation

From: Scott Ecker <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 07:23:32 EEST

On 05/09/2010 11:52 AM, Rick Green wrote:
> Planet CCRMA on fedora 12?
> Wait for fedora 13? How long before Planet CCRMA will have a f13
> repository?

Get F12 x64. Upgrading is a breeze. I've been happily using it for
about a year and it's been flawless for my use. I use Ardour and an
Echo Audiofire12 to simultaneously record 12 mics on a Dell laptop. The
last time I saw an xrun was when I budged the firewire cable while it
was recording.

A note on upgrading: I create 3 system '/' partitions from which I copy
each install to perform the upgrade. That way I don't corrupt my
current system in case there's a problem.

/dev/sda1 is F12
copy /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda2
upgrade F12->F13 on /dev/sda2

F12 on /dev/sda1 is untouched while I test F13 on /dev/sda2. Be sure to
have a separate '/home' and '/boot'. YMMV.

-Scott