Re: [LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 10 2010 - 22:27:50 EEST

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 07:21:51AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
>

> > What I am trying to say is: the PA-people should be aware, that there is
> > pro-audio-hardware out there, that can be used for desktop-audio too but
> > is still quite different by design compared with the average HDA-chip.
> >

> I think you should STOP immediately labelling Lennart and anyone else
> involved in PulseAudio. You simply don't know what they know. Lennart is
> actually much more familiar with what pro-audio/music creation needs are
> than the vast majority of posters on this list are about the issues faced by
> desktop and mobile audio.

That I can confirm.

> Many posters to this list also display a
> remarkable level of ignorance about how PA actually works, how it is
> configured and what it can do.

Well, there must be reasons for that, as there are or were
for few people knowing how ALSA works and is configured.

As I'm just using hw: devices it has been ages since I wrote
any sort of ALSA configuration. But doesn't ALSA allow to
define a 'slave' device that inherits a hw: one (and still is
effectively a hw: device without resampling etc.) ?
Maybe that would allow to set port names, or at least to create
a 2-ch device that PA could use.

Ciao,

--
FA