Re: [LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 01:47:31 EEST

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:08:20AM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 17:27 +0200, ailo wrote:

> > > m-audio delta cards are ice1712 cards.
> > > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/ice1712
> > >
> > To clarify, I meant to ask if chips, other than ice1712 are affected.
>
> Big multichannel rme cards are also affected (obviously). In those cases
> the workaround I have to deltas did not work (too many channels?)
>
> On the other hand, I _think_ (but I'm not positive now that I think
> about it) that the 8 channel gina/layla3g worked fine, I would have to
> test again.

Given that PA aims to be a desktop audio server catering for
the 'standard' formats such as stereo and 5.1, it really can't
be blamed for not knowing what to do with a card that presents
N (N >= 8) identical channels. And I'm somehow surprised if
users of such cards (who probably use Jack anyway) expect PA
to handle this OOTB. The obvious solution for them is to use
the PA<->Jack bridge which is reported to work well.

Ciao,

--
FA
O tu, che porte, correndo si ?