Re: [LAU] [Sort of OT] Ringing in filters

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 12:12:22 EEST

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 05:39:04PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> > Jamin's FFT based filter is not really a filter, it's a vocoder
> > being used as a filter and it has side effects.
>
> Wha??? Um, yuck.
>
> I just mastered a CD using Jamin. Was that a mistake?

Depends on if you like the result...

> I mastered a CD through a vocoder?

Yes.

Early versions had quite severe side effects. Later the
overlap factor of the block processing was increased, this
more or less hides the artefacts, but they are still there.

Another thing to take into account that at LF the real
filter does not correspond at all to the one shown in
the GUI.

> Is there a better GPL tool I should have used?

If you want one that has this type of 'graphical' filter
I suspect the answer is no. But you don't need graphical
filters for mastering, a multiband parametric will give
better results.

Ciao,

--
FA