Re: [LAU] perhaps why some of us have more trouble w/ pulseaudio than others (ICE1712/M-audio delta problem w/ pulseaudio)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 17:48:16 EEST

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <
pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 12, 2010, Paul Davis wrote:
> > > IMHO, the obvious solution would be for them to simply stop wasting
> their
> > > time on PA and make an existing and better solution (JACK) better. ;-)
> >
> > i don't think you are clear that JACK and PA are attempting to solve
> > different problems.
>
> It would be nice if you make a similar public declaration about Jack MIDI
> and
> ALSA sequencer.
>

> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/faq/start#qwhat_is_the_difference_between_jack-midi_and_alsa-midi
>
> "The short answer:
> Jack-Midi has been introduced to extend/replace alsa-midi
> [...]
> They currently co-exist."
>
> Looks like somebody dreaming of world domination.

JACK MIDI, ALSA Sequencer and Pulse Audio are not related in any obvious
way.

It is indeed true that JACK MIDI is "intended to extend/replace the ALSA
sequencer". The problems addressed by ALSA's sequencer API are, so the JACK
MIDI crew claim, better solved in user space in a manner substantially
similar to the way that JACK MIDI attempts to solve them. I personally
believe that the existence of the ALSA sequencer API is just a result of a
combination of the limits of (and ignorance about the possibilities of) the
Linux 2.2 kernel. If you don't believe you can do realtime stuff in user
space (which arguably was true in 2.2), then of course you put something
like ALSA sequencer in the kernel.

--p